Sunday, October 11, 2009

Richard Miller's This is How We Dream, Part 1 and 2

After listening to the Youtube broadcast, I tend to agree that the world is changing and so is learning. Mr. Miller's dream is coming true slowly, but inevitably faster then what I think he even dreams. Over the past few decades I have seen technology advance at such exponential rates that I can not even imaging what the children of tomorrow will be doing. He is correct in saying that it is going to be a financial burden for the school system to implement these ideas, but it is something that I feel will be done eventually. I am not saying that I want all children to become graphic designers and computer engineers, but to influence them with hands on computer skills will only enhance their knowledge of the subject being presented.

Am I prepared to write with multimedia? Not yet but it is the intention of this student to learn all that is out there, not for mastery but for the sake of just using this technology to positively influence my future students. Like I previously stated, technology is rapidly growing and who knows what is going to be coming down the pipeline next, but with the basic understanding of other versions and current technology, it is possible to proceed and pass on to the younger generation.

I am sure that by the time I graduate, the students of tomorrow will have already mastered a new skill in technology, if it is given to them in the form of a game, such as Wii or Nintendo, unfortunately. Children tend to focus on these items, and are learning new skills without them even knowing.It will be up to us as teachers to use this knowledge and build on it, to present the technology in a form that will be useful in life not only academically, but socially as well.

1 comment:

  1. Kevin, I agree with you. I am not prepared to write in multimedia. I am still trying to master typing. Technology is changing everyday. I thought I knew the basic. But I see I got a lot of learning to do.

    ReplyDelete