Sunday, October 18, 2009

Technology and the Outdoors

As I began scrolling through all of the material this week, I was wondering if it were going to be some more stuff about technology and why we should learn it. I was surprised to see that of course it was about technology, but it was about the outdoors as well. This father and little girl Kaia, had created a video of photos that Kaia had taken, and then put into a video format where she had explained all of the pictures.

Here is the great part, the father didn't expect to get all of the responses that he had gotten, therefore opening a world of opportunities for him and his daughter.
The two of them started conversing with people all across the world about this little girl's photos, which were good by the way. I really appreciate the way that this family has reintroduced the importance of going outside and exploring your world. I hate to say this but I think it is something that today's youth are missing, spending all of their time either online or engaged in video games. Combining the past time of going outside and exploring, to creating learning environments around the world is amazing.

Some points were brought up however in the videos and comments about privacy, and the rapid growth of video technology. I tend to agree that it is very scary broadcasting yourself out to the world with no idea what or who is watching. I tend to find myself in the, scared of publishing my life, category. I also see myself slowly opening up to the new technology. Like one of the posters said, "If we do not open our self up how are we to learn together?"

As I am still hesitant to broadcast myself, I am interested in learning more and more things. I often find my self tinkering with all of the technology I have learned, to see what I am capable of doing, without being required. Regardless, I see this one post (Kaia's) as being one that has started a chain reaction of teaching and learning. The connections that people make through the use of technology will only enhance the learning process as well as society in general. The more we learn about other cultures, through the use of technology, the more our stereotypes diminish. And don't forget all the other stuff one can learn as well.

1 comment:

  1. My students live in a small, rural community that is completely different from Kaia's. This is really what started the important part of the story. I have a fox that lives in my barn and deer travel through my yard in the morning and at night (I live just outside of the city limits.) The pictures showed a much different type of land than what we are used to. It is obviously much drier. Noticing the difference was a major part of how this story happened.
    Mr. C

    ReplyDelete