Sunday, September 13, 2009

Michael Wesch

A Vision Of Students Today?

I really related to this video, coming from a larger school, there were all of these types of students in my classroom. There were the individuals that never showed up, and those that showed up but were doing something else. The classes were so large it was impossible for the instructors to focus on the students. Their goal was to discuss the topic, and it was up to the student, which was paying for it, to make the decision whether or not to do the right thing and go to class to learn. I have to admit that I was one of the students that didn't really go to every class. My general idea was the same as the professors, if I wanted to learn I should go to class and listen, if not it was my money I was wasting, cause the professor still gets paid.

One thing that I might change about the video would be to put some people in there that had their face covered with a black spot to indicate, that they are there but not participating, or give the general impression of someone being there but not seen. Some of the classes are so large there would be no way to notice everyone in the class. Indicating the absent, or the here but not here group. I would also add some of the professors, I know that many of them would not want to do it, but a lot of what students like and dislike about college are the professors. If there were some of them holding up signs saying something like, "I make class so boring many students fall asleep", or "I make the test more difficult by tricking you with one word differences on answers, thus making you miss the question, and failing the test". This would be some of the additions that I think every student could relate to.

No comments:

Post a Comment